Latest Posts

recent

Journey Through Rotaract - Rtr. Isuri Alahakoon



What is Rotaract to you?

Rotaract to me was a platform to grow and develop myself both personally and professionally, all the while having fun with friends and creating memories for life. Every project was a new experience and every moment I spent organizing or taking part in a project was a new learning.

Why Rotaract?

Well, I joined Rotaract because of two reasons. Firstly, I wanted a distraction from studies and secondly, I wanted to do some good to the society and I found Rotaract to be the perfect place. 


Do you think that Rotaract can make a difference in the society?

Yes, Rotaract can, it has, and it will continue to make a difference – not only in the society, but also in the lives of Rotaractors themselves.

Rotaractors are a hardworking, selfless and fun-loving bunch of people who do countless projects, big and small, to help those in need, in whatever ways they can. I strongly believe that all these experiences make them better people, who in turn would strive to do even bigger things as leaders of corporates, or the country itself one day.

How did you manage your responsibilities as a Rotaractor while managing your undergrad work?

There were months when we had 3-4 projects in the works, along with assignments and exams. It would have been an extremely difficult journey if not for all the amazing people in our club. Everybody had each other’s back and stepped up whenever needed.
Anyone who has been a part of our club would surely agree when I say our biggest strength has always been our members and our ability to work together as one team.


What is the most felt project in your journey?

I was fortunate enough to be a part of a few projects even before I joined Rotaract, all thanks to my two elder sisters. And so, the very first Rotaract project I had the privilege of witnessing was the Down Syndrome Day Celebrations many years ago. The whole experience was such an eye-opener; the touching stories of parents, the warm smiles of the kids and the hard work and commitment of the organizers made me want to one day be a Rotaractor with the hope of helping the less-privileged in the country.

But the project that made me feel the most was “Live a little. Love a little”, where we spent a day with the girls at Haven and Sunshine Home – a shelter for children and teenagers who have experienced sexual abuse. The evenings we spent with these beautiful souls were well worth it as we were able to bring them joy and happiness. 

How did Rotaract change you? What are the value additions by being in Rotaract?

Being a Rotaractor made me a better person – made me more empathetic and opened my eyes to things that I never did pay attention to before.

Throughout the four-year journey of being in Rotaract, I worked with different people and in different scenarios, each with its own obstacles. All of these experiences made me grow, taught me the value of friendship and teamwork and helped me think on my feet to face unforeseen events. And so, every project – the successful ones and the unsuccessful ones alike – were all a great learning experience.

Rotaract in one word?

Inspiring.
Journey Through Rotaract - Rtr. Isuri Alahakoon Reviewed by RACUOCFMF on 22:29 Rating: 5

No comments:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.