Latest Posts

recent

Journey Through Rotaract- Rtr. Ruvindi De Silva


She is our Past Vice President Rtr. Ruvindi De Silva. With her remarkable and lovable personality, she is someone who is always ready to give a helping hand to her fellow Rotaractors. It does not end there. She is also very capable of overcoming any challenge that she encounters. To share some of the great experiences and knowledge she gathered, we invited her to share her Journey Through Rotaract.

What made you join Rotaract? 
I have always been one to take part in extracurricular activities throughout my school days and this need for “something more than just academics” continued even when I commenced my university life.  Joining Rotaract seemed to be the perfect fit at the time, as it had an overall balance of interaction, networking, fun activities and events, professional development and most importantly, community service. All my friends joined the movement along with me and it has been an enjoyable ride ever since!

How did Rotaract influence you to become the person you are today? 
My journey through Rotaract has undoubtedly helped me to truly understand people, to be a cooperative team player while also helping to build my self-confidence and personality. During my tenure in the club, there were many ups and downs that I had to face; it definitely wasn’t a bed of roses. Thinking back, I am glad I was exposed to such challenges as it had made me stronger as a person, teaching me how to face any challenge life throws my way with a positive attitude.

What areas of your position did you find most challenging?
There were always various recommendations, opinions and suggestions from everyone involved in different committees when organizing projects. Therefore, listening to these views and incorporating their ideas into the projects took up a lot of effort, requiring a heavy dose of “people management skills”, which was very challenging for me. 

What changes can a Rotaractor make in the society compared to an ordinary person?
By being a part of an organisation such as Rotaract, one can give so much more to the society as a team rather than an individual. Apart from the charity aspects, Rotaract is also about togetherness, building friendships and networks and through this platform, there is a great deal we can do for the betterment of our own communities. The happiness you feel by giving back to the people TOGETHER as one family is indescribable.
iGenius 2015(Image Source- Xtream Youth )
What is your most memorable or treasured experience being a Rotaractor?
My most memorable experience would be the year I co-chaired Glass Ice. It was one of the biggest projects from our club at the time and organizing it was a very hectic task, from which I gained plenty of experience regarding project management. Therefore, seeing it finally materialize on a grand note is a memory I treasure very much.  

Is there something you wish you had done differently?
Looking back, I wish I participated a lot more in projects organised by the other Rotaract clubs.

What do you think about the position of the club as at now?
The club has grown immensely since its inception and I am very happy and proud to see many new projects and events being organised by the current members. It is surely heartwarming to see everyone working together and I wish all the very best for many more successful years ahead! 
Run For Their Lives (Image Source- Xtream Youth )

What were some of the biggest lessons that have impacted the way that you work?
I received the opportunity to be a part of different teams in organizing several projects throughout my journey as a Rotaractor. Reflecting back on these experiences, I have learnt the true value of patience, especially when making decisions and working collaboratively as a team.

What advice would you give the new members to make the most of being a Rotaractor?
Whether big or small, participate in many projects as possible, as each project would give you new and different experiences, which could add value to your life in ways you would never imagine.

What do you feel about your journey as a Rotaractor?
Through this movement, I was able to be a part of so many worthy projects while being able to give back to the community as well. My university life wouldn’t have been the same if not for all the good memories created through Rotaract and joining it, is a decision I would never regret in my life.
26th Rotaract District Assembly(Image Source- Kasun Mullegamgoda Photography)
Journey Through Rotaract- Rtr. Ruvindi De Silva Reviewed by RACUOCFMF on 12:02 Rating: 5

No comments:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.